Tuesday, January 17, 2012

More Harm than Good: Hormone Replacement Therapy

Image courtesy of www.lookhealthy.org
Women who feel the discomfort of menopause sometimes consider  taking on a hormone replacement therapy (HRT), which artificially boosts hormone levels estrogen and progesterone. Unfortunately, new evidence shows that links the incidence of breast cancer with HRT.  Read more on ABC News: Hormone Therapy Linked to Higher Breast Cancer Death Risk.

I am no medical expert, but I think that medications that artificially change hormone levels are not worth considering. Let the body work and age naturally. Try eating healthier foods, exercising regularly, managing stress and sleeping more. I'm just in my late 20's, so I can't really say what a woman undergoing menopause feels. What I can say for sure though is that breast cancer sucks, and once it's there, it's a lifelong battle. I would rather get hot flashes than risk myself further to cancer.

Same with oral contraceptives. While there's conflicting data on the link between breast cancer and birth control pills, consider using a condom instead of altering your hormones. Why expose yourself to cancer risk? Because no matter how informed or how financially capable or how strong your are, nothing can really prepare you enough to face the Big C.

No comments:

Post a Comment